While in the fast emerging mobile app development world, iOS is key to success as it provide platform for applications to execute in easier way. In 2014 Apple launched a new iOS programming language i.e. Swift as a replacement for Objective C which is programming language for iOS X. Although Objective-C and Swift have a very good interoperability, their programming patterns are different. So if you migrate Objective-C code to Swift, there is a high risk. The frameworks associated with the Apple operating systems are Cocoa (for OS X) and Cocoa Touch (iOS). With modules written in the Objective-C language, Cocoa Touch is specifically geared toward touch-based devices like iPhones and iPads.
The main purpose of introducing Swift is to provide a new easier, modest, more flexible programming language to code than Objective-C.Some of the functionalities are different in both the programming languages and Swift offers advance features that makes application development smoother. Swift having the native features and provides flexible platform. This is the bold move taken by the IPhone App Development Company by providing different platform for iOS apps to run. As per the ranking factor Swift over taken Objective C in all terms. According to survey over 69 % developers choose Swift over Objective C.
Swift over Objective C
Many of these developers had used Objective C before, it was immensely successful, helping occupy the App Store with thousands of apps. Objective C is rising and running over 30 years successfully, still have lots of drawbacks. Apple continually improved Objective-C with each release, adding blocks and literals, simplified memory management with Automatic Reference Counting (ARC), and many other features revealing modern programming language. There are many limitations that is removed after the launch of Swift. Swift removes the unsafe pointer management. Mobile App Development Company announces dominant new features, while maintaining interaction with Objective-C. Swift is designed to be compatible with all of the existing iOS development tools such as XCode and the Cocoa framework and its upgraded features mean quick replacement of Objective C.
Here are some of the advantages of Swift over Objective C:
- Swift is simple, fast and interactive and system is supportive. Not only that, the compiler errors are getting better and better all the time. While the errors on average lead to faster debugging and faster development. Swift is easier to understand and maintain as compare to Objective C
- Swift is easier to read and learn as the code written in simple language. Swift is more compatible with the apps and less complex than Objective-C. Not only that, the community has completely embraced the usage of Swift, and all the new community-built features come to Swift first.
- Less Coding in Swift reduces the amount of code required for statements and managing strings. Swift having features like adding two strings together with a ‘plus’ operator, which is absent in Objective-C.
- Swift provides an enhanced coding experience for programmers as all the codes are easy and simpler to understand and implement, while in Objective C, coding is somewhat complex and take time in testing and implementing.
- Swift Support dynamic libraries and these dynamic libraries are executable code linked to an app. This feature allows current Swift apps to link with the latest versions of the Swift language.
- Swift memory management is much easier and provides better interactive features for app development than Objective C. Applications can easily explore and access all the functionalities more smoothly.
Now, the question is which better programming language to work on is. As while using Swift, it provides interactive framework for developing apps and its runtime is not included in iOS so it has to be included in every app that uses it. Swift is stable and strong development platform, which is surely to evolve in interesting ways over the coming years. It is a seamless moment to start exploring this new language as it is the future of iOS development.
As Swift provides an interactive environment for applications to run and easy execution while mostly used app development programming language. While your app’s runtime compatibility is ensured, the Swift language itself will continue to grow, and provides much better user experience than Objective C.